A head, neck and oral cancer screening is an essential part of your dental examination and may save your life. Oral Cancer accounts for approximately 4% of all cancers and men are twice as likely to be diagnosed as women. Oral cancer screenings (OCS) should be done at every dental examination.
Learn More about the Preventative Dental Care that is offered at Luff Dental.
Related Article: Schedule Your Appointment with Us
What is an Oral Cancer Screening?
- Your dentist will feel your neck, underneath your jaw, and the base of your skull.
- In your mouth, your dentist will examine your tongue, lips, gingiva, palate, throat, and cheeks.
These an oral cancer screening allows for your dentist to catch any areas of concern as quickly as possible. The good news is that an OCS will not cost you any money, it is part of your routine exam which is usually covered by insurance.
So, what are the risk factors for head, neck and oral cancer?
- Alcohol and tobacco users
- Human papillomavirus (HPV), particularly HPV 16.
- Sun exposure
What should you look for?
- Any lesion that does not resolve in two weeks
- Difficulty swallowing or chewing
- Difficulty moving the jaw or tongue
- Unexplained numbness of the tongue or other areas
If you have any of these signs or symptoms it is important that you see your dentist or physician immediately.
Want more information? Check out these articles!
- Head and Neck Cancers | National Cancer Institute
- Detecting Oral Cancer | National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
- Head and Neck Cancer Screening | Cancer.net
- Cancer Screening | Head and Neck Cancer Center at John Hopkins Medicine
Schedule Your Dental Appointment at Luff Dental
Need to set up a dental exam? Give us a call at 816-875-3391 or visit our website.
Work with Dr. Luff and her team to find the most effective solution for your smile! We are always accepting new patients in the Lee’s Summit, MO and surrounding area who are ready to improve their oral health! Please call Luff Dental at (816) 875-3391 to schedule your appointment or click HERE and we’ll connect with you!